AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF THE EDITOR-IN-CHIEF OF Microbiologyclass.com
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of www.Microbiologyclass.com, a global online microbiology website for microbiology notes, news and teaching resources. Microbiologyclass.com is Africa’s largest and number 1 microbiology website for academic and research resources for students, researchers and tutors in microbiology. Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu was selected for membership in the Global Young Academy (GYA), Germany, for a period of 5 years (June 2020 – May 2025) beginning June 2020. He is also a member of the Global Health (GH) Working Group and Science Education for Youth (SEY) Working Group of the GYA.
After receiving his PhD in Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Biotechnology from Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Nigeria (2017), Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu worked as a postdoctoral researcher at Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan – where he had postdoctoral training on virology and carried out research on HIV-1 as a MIF Research Fellow. He received the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) postdoctoral fellowship award (2018). Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu also received the DAAD Fellowship ‘Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists’ award (2020) to BAM institute in Berlin, Germany, to undertake research on biocide resistance.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu is a Pharmaceutical Microbiologist and holds a Degree in Applied Microbiology from Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Nigeria (2008) and a Masters Degree in Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Biotechnology from Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Nigeria (2012). He is an international scholar and researcher that have researched ad nauseam on antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and infectious diseases. Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu has won several academic awards and grants across the globe due to his commitment to research and service to humanity. His work on AMR is helping to strengthen the knowledge and evidence base of AMR in Nigeria and Africa through research and surveillance on priority resistance pathogens (e.g., E. coli, Klebsiella, Pseudomonas, Staphylococcus) – with the overarching goal being to reduce the incidence and disease burden of AMR as well as ensure the optimization of the use of antimicrobial agents in human and animal health in Nigeria and Africa.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu is a tutor with Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Nigeria. He joined the Department of Applied Microbiology in the fall of 2014, where he enjoys working closely with undergraduate and postgraduate students to help them develop their own passions for microbiology, research, teaching and other aspects of life. Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu is also an Adjunct Senior Lecturer with the Department of Microbiology, Coal City University, Emene, Enugu State, Nigeria. His areas of research interests include AMR, infectious diseases, novel drug discovery, HIV-1, bacteriology, virology.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu has authored and co-authored over 100 original research papers in international peer reviewed open-access journals in the area of AMR research across the globe. He developed www.Microbiologyclass.com to help microbiology enthusiasts, students, teachers and other microbiology lovers across the globe to have free online access to microbiology notes, health news, microbiology topics, and other academic resources and materials for self discovery and professional development in the field of microbiology. He is driven by creativity and professionalism to contribute to the corpus of knowledge and help push the frontiers of knowledge in the field of microbiology in Nigeria, Africa and across the globe.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu is a member of the Global Young Academy (GYA), Nigerian Society of Microbiology (NSM), American Society of Microbiology (ASM), Society for Applied Microbiology (SfAM), Asian Council of Science Editors (ACSE), and an Associate Member of Microbiology Society, Scotland, UK. He is a fellow of the Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP) in Pretoria, South Africa. He is also a reviewer and editorial board member for various international peer reviewed journals including Gene Reports, Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis, Nigerian Journal of Microbiology etc. Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu is the Pioneer Assistant Editor-in-Chief I of the Science Journal, an institutional journal of the Faculty of Science, Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Nigeria.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu is a passionate Development Knowledge Facilitator (DKF), Writer, Trainer, Speaker, Teacher, Drummer, Blogger, Web Developer, Husband and Father. He believes that education is for empowerment and emancipation of the mind from mental slavery and imprisonment, and not merely for employment. To this end, Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu wrote a book titled: “Street Smart Book Smart” published on Amazon.com to help young people everywhere balance the attitude and skills of the classroom and that of the society in order to become a valuable personality in the real world after leaving school.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu have been active in programmes through which he impart the knowledge and skills in the field of microbiology he has accumulated over the years from both national and international institutions, on both students and researchers in Nigeria, Africa and across the globe. He is an active member of the “Antibiotic Resistance Research Group” of Ebonyi State University, Abakiliki, Nigeria. He is currently a member of the “Schistosomiasis Research Group” led by Dr. Egie Enabulele (Laboratory of Parasitology Research, Department of Animal and Environmental Biology, UNIBEN) and Dr. Timothy Anderson (Chair, Department of Genetics, Texas Biomedical Research Institute, San Antonio, Texas, USA) – where they are currently investigating Schistosoma species for population genomics of Schistosoma haematobium in Nigeria.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu has written and contributed to several book chapters including “Lichen Secondary Metabolites as Possible Antiviral Agents”. He has a flare for teaching, research, community development and student/youth empowerment, which was why he founded and developed www.Microbiologyclass.com, an online microbiology website that is helping microbiology students and enthusiasts in Nigeria, Africa and from across the world. Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu has researched extensively on investigating the environmental occurrence and phenotypic and genotypic characteristics of priority multidrug resistant Gram negative bacteria, generating data, with potentials to inform policies and programmes aimed at forestalling the spread of drug-resistant pathogens in Nigeria and the sub-Saharan African region.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu’s online portfolio and some of his publications can be accessed from the following links:
- ORCID: https://bit.ly/2PcAsTe
- Google Scholar ID: https://bit.ly/30kBHRp
- ResearchGate ID: https://bit.ly/2MqsK5F
- LiveDNA ID: https://bit.ly/2MpQUx6
- Linkedin: https://bit.ly/2YYMnpb
AWARDS / GRANTS / PRIZES / SCHOLARSHIPS / HONOURS
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu has received the following Awards / Grants:
- DAAD Fellowship ‘Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists’ Award 2020, tenable at Department of Materials and Environment, Division Biodeterioration and Reference Organisms (4.1), Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing (BAM), Berlin, Germany.
- National Young Researchers Prize in Microbiology. Winner of the 2020 Edition of the Prof. Oyewale Tomori National Young Scientists’ Prize in Microbiology from the Nigerian Academy of Science cum Nigerian Young Academy (NYA), Lagos, Nigeria (July 27, 2020).
- Membership Award, Global Young Academy (GYA), Halle (Saale), Germany, 2020-2025. Selection to the GYA Membership 2020 for a tenure of 5 years beginning June 2020 (June 2020 – May 2025) to give a voice to young scientists around the world.
- Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP) Fellow Award, Pretoria, South Africa. Selection as a fellow of the Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP), Pretoria, South Africa. (October 1, 2020).
- Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) Travel Grant to attend the 9th Congress of European Microbiologists (FEMS 2021) in Hamburg, Germany (July 11 – July 15, 2021).
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) Early Career Conference Grant to attend the 8th Congress of European Microbiologists (FEMS 2019) in Glasgow, Scotland, UK (July 7 – July 11, 2019).
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Global Health Travel Award for the X7/X8 HIV Vaccines conference, tenable at Fairmont Chateau Whistler, Whistler, British Columbia, Canada (March 24 – March 28, 2019).
- Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Award, tenable at Laboratory of Infectious Disease Model, Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences, cum Center for Human Evolution Modeling, Primate Research Institute (PRI), Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan (April, 2018 – October, 2018).
- Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) Grant-Seed Award for Early Career Researchers under the Group of a Senior Researcher. This grant seed was part of an institutional building capacity of researchers in Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Nigeria to carry out research in their areas of specialization under the sponsorship of TETFund (June, 2017 – March, 2018).
- National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Award of Excellence, presented by the Senior Special Assistant to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) as the Best Corps member in the North-West geopolitical zone of Nigeria, and in recognition of his outstanding performance as a Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) Advocate in Kaduna State, Nigeria during the 2009/2010 Batch ‘B’ National Youth Service Corps Year.
Microbiologyclass.com is a global online microbiology website working to help microbiology students and enthusiasts stay on top of their chosen profession in microbiology. From developing scintillating microbiology notes to helping students and tutors, we are committed to improving and sustaining the academic and professional well-being of our users around the globe!
Once again, welcome to www.Microbiologyclass.com, your Number 1 Microbiology Website!
Please drop by and say hello to the microbial world.